Preventive Dentistry: Let’s Master It Together!
Your teeth play an important role every single day. They make a beautiful smile, helping you to communicate quickly. (Did you know you can see a smile from the distance of a football field?!) Your teeth also enable you to chew food and speak clearly. They also give your face its distinctive shape and the confidence you carry throughout the day.
A healthy smile will not only transform your visual appearance and your mindset, but it will also improve your oral and overall health. This is why preventive dentistry is as important as caring for your teeth every day with your attentive home care routine.
To maintain optimal oral health, our dental association recommends visiting us, your dentist in Scarborough, at least twice annually – or more depending on your individual needs. This will ensure that your teeth are clean and healthy, as well as esthetically pleasing.
What is preventive dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is a means of intercepting damage to your teeth and mouth due to decay, gum disease, oral cancer, cracks, infection, and more.
Preventive care includes:
- regular homecare (brushing twice a day and flossing once a day)
- regular visits to Scarborough Dental Group
- thorough professional cleaning
- repair of chips or cracks when they’re small
- decay intervention
- oral cancer checks
- gum disease diagnosis & treatment plan
- receiving, accepting, and implementing dental care information and tips from us, your dentist in Scarborough…
- brushing & flossing instruction
- wearing a mouthguard when playing sports that have the chance of impact to your teeth (hockey, basketball, in-line skating, football, soccer, etc.)
- wearing a nightguard to prevent damage from bruxism (grinding and clenching)
- not using your teeth as tools
Benefits of preventive dentistry include:
- optimal oral health
- improved overall health (health problems that may be linked to poor oral health are diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, respiratory diseases, pregnancy complications including pre-term birth, and some cancers.
- decreased medical & dental costs
- fresh, clean teeth, mouth & breath
- boost in appearance
- increased self-confidence.
As a critical part of your healthcare team, all of us at Scarborough Dental Group are trained to keep an eye out for things you may not have realized. Some of these include…
- Routine dental radiographs can reveal a potential risk of stroke by exposing unusual calcium deposits in the carotid arteries in the neck.
- Over thirty-five thousand new cases of oral cancers are diagnosed each year in North America. If caught early, the five-year survival rate can be as high as 90%. When oral cancer is identified late or not at all, the rate drops significantly.
- Other diseases that we can detect in their early stages include epilepsy, hemophilia, leukemia, malignant melanoma, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and tuberculosis. You can help by pointing out any changes you notice, even trivial ones like a small canker or cold sore that doesn’t heal after two weeks.
As your dentist in Scarborough, our focus is on you and your oral and overall health. We want to help you live your best life, and as your mouth is the gateway to overall health, providing all sorts of clues about your health, we encourage you to never skip or continually postpone your recall appointments with us.
We really want to help you smile. Call (647) 494-9078 today!